|Photo from Here|
Does your family have a favorite dish for Holiday meals? Our’s does, it is Cheesy Corn Casserole! And it is delicious, seriously just yummy yummy goodness! It makes me excited for Holiday dinners.
One reason I love this dish, is the simplicity. It is easy to make, and can be cooked in the slow cooked or the oven. Who does not love that!?! I love this baked in the oven, but I cook it in a crock pot more often than not, because our oven is always full on big dinner days. Until this year. This year I am putting a ham in the crock pot for thanksgiving, which means I can have a golden delicious corn casserole!
This photo (above) is from 2 weeks ago, I made it in the crockpot. It is amazing, the food not the photo. I do not know why I always manage to take terrible photos of my favorite side dish! and before you ask, Yes I have a special serving dish, shaped like corn for my corn casserole. Why? Because I am Jessi and thats just how I do things!
- 2 cans of whole kernel corn. (drain the juice out of 1)
- 2 cans of creamed corn
- 2 cups of elbow noodles – DRY do not cook these ahead of time
- 1/2 stick of butter cubed
- 1/2 medium onion, obliterated – Yes that is my very technical term for how my grandma use to put half an onion with a quarter cup of water into her blender for this dish! I use a food processor and zero water.
- 2 cups (ish) of velveeta, yes you can use other types of cheese but velveeta makes it awesome
- 1 Tbs black pepper
- 2 Tbs garlic powder
Crockpot: Put everything in the crockpot and mix, turn on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours and serve.
Oven: Mix all ingredients (minus cheese) into a bowl and place in a baking dish. I use a big glass casserole pan. Then cube the cheese and spread it evenly around the dish – smooshing it into the corn awesomeness. Bake at 350 (because everything bakes at 350 in my world) for 15 minutes. Stirr – because now your cheese has melted and you can distribute it around. Bake another 45ish minutes until the edges just turn to golden.
I have yet to meet a person who did not like this. Well I suppose if you disliked cheese and corn, that could be a problem, but other than that, its a win!